NCN Online Archives

Friends of the Museum Plan 'Historic' Meeting
by unknown author

An historic day--February 22, Washington's Birthday--and an historic site--the home of Mrs. and Mrs. John S. Elliott on Croton Heights Road--have been chosen for the first annual meeting of the Friends of the Yorktown Museum.

During the meeting, the friends will elect a new set of officers and mark tow years of operation of the town museum with a buffet supper, and a talk by Albert Cerak, president of the White Plains Battle Monument Committee.

Not surprisingly Mr. Cerak's topic will be the Battle of White Plains. He will also describe the origin of the committee he heads.

Parts of the Elliott home where the meeting will take place dates back to pre-Revolutionary days. The land originally belonged to Van Cortlandt Manor. In 1760 it was deeded to an early member of the Birdsall family. The present owner is a direct descendant of the same family.

The town museum is located in several rooms of the Davenport House in Croton Heights. Since opening, more than 2,500 people have signed the visitors' book. The house itself was a gift to Westchester County Historical Society. The society, in turn, permitted the Town of Yorktown to use space in it as a museum.

Davenport house is most famous as the locale where Colonel Christopher Greene, Major Ebenezer Flagg and 21 enlisted men met death at the hands of the British in a surprise attack during the Revolutionary War. The house was built in 1750. During part of its early history it was a tavern. Bullet marks from the Greene encounter are still visible under the paint of what was once the front door.

The program for the meeting has been arranged by Mrs. Edward Lowery, former Yorktown Town Historian. Punch will be served at 7 p.m. with super to follow.

Persons interested in attending must telephone Mrs. Wesley Hostetler at 245-3160 for reservations on or before February 18. Reservations will be accepted in order of receipt. There is a $1.50 charge.

The Yorktowner, Vol. 2 No. 18, February 15, 1968

Return to the North County News Online Archives