The First Presbyterian
Church of Yorktown
THIS IS OUR HERITAGE
For over a century, hymns and anthems have been sung, prayers offered and the Christian message preached in this building. The present edifice of the First Presbyterian Church of Yorktown was dedicated on January 9, 1840. The original building was erected in 1738 on what was then called the King's Highway, now known as Crompond Road.
During the Revolutionary War, the Church parsonage was the center and rallying place of the patriots of the surrounding country. On June 24, 1779, British troops, during a surprise attack, burned the Church to the ground. It was rebuilt in 1785 and used until the present building took its place in 1840. The land on which it stands was part of the Van Cortlandt Manor and members of that family attended its services. It antedates the Declaration of Independence by nearly half a century.
By the sincerity of our worship and dignity of our lives. Let us continue to embody the faithful witness to Jesus Christ on which the heritage attests.
Text and drawing from a note card.
Note: Just close this browser window to return to the previous page.