LIST OF OLD YORKTOWN CEMETERIES
- Hyatt Plot: Small cemetery located on Route 132, on bank
opposite Bernstein/Adam house property. Contains only three gravestones with inscriptions,
with a blank stone on the ground that could possibly be another gravestone. One
gravestone, leaning against a tree, is that of Jamima Ferris, wife of George Ferris.
Others are lying on the ground. One is inscribed Gabriel Strang, son of Frances and
Elizabeth Strang. Top part of the second stone lying on the ground has cracked off and is
thought to be that of Joseph Hughson. The date of death inscribed on stone, matches the
date of death listed for Joseph Hughson, son of Nathaniel Hughson, one of the 10 people
listed as buried in the Hyatt Plot. The other families listed as buried in the Hyatt Plot
are the Hyatt family, Col. John Hyatt: "Soldier of the Revolution," his wife
Mary, another Mary Hyatt, and Sarah Hyatt, Francis Strang, and his wife Elizabeth, Stephen
Travis and Joshua Travis. Earliest burial date listed was that of Joseph Hughson, June 30,
1759, latest for Stephen Travis January 27, 1825. Is this cemetery site listed in the
State/National Registers of Historic Places? It appears it would qualify because of the
burial of Col. John Hyatt, "Soldier of the Revolution."
- Brown Cemetery: Small cemetery on Hanover Road abuts
property of Carrol and Keith McAleer, 1536 Hanover Road. Contains four Brown family
engraved upright white stones. First stone, the infant daughter of John and Rebecca Brown,
died, July 2, 1817; second stone has top chipped and name is not legible, daughter of John
and Rebecca Brown died April 2, 1826, aged 8 years, 2 months; third stone William S. son
of John and Rebecca Brown, died March 20, 1831 age 15 years; fourth stone, resting against
a tree that seems to be growing around it, is inscribed Samuel, son of John & Rebecca
Brown died November 11, 1843, age 21 years, 9 months and 21 days. Two other stones in this
row are lying face down and were not turned over. (Did not want to disturb site until
other members of Yorktown Historical Society were present). There are small, curved-top
stones set in what appeared to be rows, some gneiss type stones with initials chiseled
into top: T. S., J. S., one irregular dark black stone lying down, has initial carved in
top also, one upright black stone in rear row has split across top. According to
gravestone information recorded in "Tales of the Old Dutch Burying Ground" (page
5) headstones recorded the deceased's name, date of death and age, while footstones are
inscribed with only the deceased's initials. Many small black type grave marker stones
covered by overgrowth could not be accessed. The area is very overgrown and needs
- Tompkins Burial Grounds: Located on the west side of
Baldwin Road, opposite the large green Russo/Stark mailbox. It is surrounded by low field
stone walls with a small gate and steps. There are quite a few gravestones, and small
markers. There is an attractive large white one inscribed Harriet Lapen, daughter of
Tompkins. Many good size trees and shrubs have to be cleared.
- Purdy's Cemetery or Burial Ground: Located at Mohansic
Golf Course in Yorktown Heights, NY. At the rear of the driving range there is an
underground burial crypt that has been partially obliterated. The top stone step that
descended to the underground room and what appears to be a stone lintel, other stones
opposite the top step that appear as supports are still in place. A high wooden fence to
contain the balls from the driving range has been erected. The steps and entrance to the
crypt has been partially filled in, wire fencing has been put over the open portion. I
received this information from a former groundskeeper now retired, who worked at the golf
course. In 1946 or thereabouts, he was directed to enter the underground chamber and
retrieve the skeletal remains from the floor and those that were lying on saw horses that
had planks across them. He estimates there were the remains of about four people and
believes the remains that he gathered up and were put into a box were later reinterred.
The chamber was approximately 8 x 8 feet and he assumes it was used as a burial crypt and
that the remains were possibly early members of the Purdy family who had owned and farmed
the property. He did not recall seeing grave stones in the immediate area. There is a
jumble of stone on the east side of the site that looks as if it might have been part of a
stone wall, similar to the stone walls that were part of family burial plots. The ground
appears to have been disturbed at some time and there are no visible grave markers. Behind
the fence is what appears to have been a service road, making the site accessible by wagon
or car. Is the Purdy Cemetery burial ground site listed in the County/ State/ National
Registers of Historic places? It would appear to be eligible because of the underground
At the turn of the century Elijah and Charles
Purdy were two brothers that lived on the property and farmed it. The wagon house from
Charles Purdy still exists and is on the right side of the driveway entrance into the golf
course. It has been repaired and is used to store supplies for the golf course. There was
another house that belonged to Elijah that is no longer standing. There might possibly be
a stone foundation that would mark the site.
The conveyance of the Mohansic reservation by
the State of New York to Westchester County gave Yorktown the distinction of having the
first park in the new Westchester County Park System. The act conveying the Mohansic
Reservation to Westchester County became a law with the approval of the Governor on March
27, 1922. The hilltop south of Mohansic Lake was chosen as the site of two eighteen-hole
public golf courses. Work was started on the first eighteen-hole golf course in September
1923 and was to be completed and open to the public in the summer of 1925. In 1991
Westchester County announced its intention to build the second golf course and preliminary
plans have been drafted.
- Baptist Church Road Cemetery: Located adjacent to the
Community Church on Baptist Church Road and intersection of Hunterbrook Road. Reference
person, Verna May Quetkowski (245-2988).
- Presbyterian Church Cemetery: Located adjacent to church,
located on Route 202 and 132, opposite Downing Park.
- Shrub Oak Cemetery: Located across from the Methodist
Church on Main Street, Shrub Oak, NY.
- Aner Gerow Cemetery: Located on east side of Illington
Road, down the road from the former Wiltwick Boys Home. This cemetery is visible from the
road and contains only one upright stone, resting against a tree. There are some very
small markers with initials only. A neighbor who lives adjacent to the cemetery stopped to
talk and told of cleaning the overgrown site with her mother and neighbors twice. After
the cleaning, the burial plot could be discerned from the road, that visibility led to
most of the stones being pilfered by gravestone thieves. The only stone that was not taken
was the large Gerow marker that she found lying on the ground. She propped it up against
the tree as it now appears in the picture. She has photographs of the site and has offered
to make them available.
- East Yard Cemetery: Granite Springs Road on hillside
between Route 202 and Quinlan Street.
- Hayes Family Cemetery: I was told that a cemetery from
that family existed in the Baptist Church Road or Hunterbrook Road area.
Compiled by Monica Dougherty, 1993-1994
Research Archives List