J. J. Roake Farm | Hyatt Plot (Hyatt Burying Ground) | Evening Star Article
On farm of J. J.
Crompond St., Yorktown, N.Y.
Copied October 1914.
near Yorktown on Shrub Oak Road
Copied by W. P. Horton in 1917.
(Westchester County Historical Society, The Westchester Historian, Cortland Pell Auser and Doris E. Auser, Editors, White Plains, NY, Vol. 39 No. 1, January, February, March, 1963, p. 22)
Hyatt Burying Ground
on Shrub Oak Road, near Yorktown
(N. M. Seth, editor, The Westchester Genealogist, Vol. 5, No. 1, Oct 1960, P. O. Box 11 Gedney Station, White Plains, NY)
Yorktown Brownies find historic burial ground
Yorktown - Girl Scout Brownie Troop 72 has been successful in locating the first of six missing burial grounds believed to have been here during the Revolutionary War era.
Located in the historic 'find' were three tombstones, one dating back to 1759. The exact location of the burial ground was not disclosed, apparently because it is on privately-owned property which at one time was a pig farm. The burial ground, however, is in the vicinity of the First Presbyterian Church off Old Yorktown Road. That area where Old Crompond Road and Old Yorktown Road meets was once the hub of what was then known as Crompond Corners. It was not until after the war that the name was changed to commemorate that decisive battle where the English surrendered to George Washington on the battlefield in Yorktown, Va.
Locating the missing burial grounds is one of the many projects being undertaken this year by the Yorktown Bicentennial Committee. This phase of it is under the direction of Yorktown Museum Curator Mrs. Cortland (Doris) Auser. She has maps showing where these cemeteries once stood. She is aided by Mrs. John (Barbara) Wilkens, chairman of the burial grounds committee. Mrs. Wilkens reported that the Yorktown Neighborhood of Girl Scouts had offered to help in this bicentennial effort. Brownie Troop 72 was the first to make a 'hit.'
In all, four headstones were found. Three of them were found on one parcel and one other on an adjacent parcel of land, leading to speculation they may have found two burial grounds, not one.
The single headstone was located on what was once the John J. Roake farm. It reads: Gabriel Strang; July 14, 1798, aged 19 years; son of Francis and Elizabeth Strang.
The three other headstones were found on what was once the Adams Farm. There was one for Joseph Hughson. It reads: 'Son of Nathaniel Hughson, 15 years old, June 30, 1759.'
The second discovered was for Jemima Ferris. It reads: 'Wife of George Ferris, died Mar. 14, 1806, aged 30 years, born April 8, 1776.'
The third bore the name of Stephen Travis. It reads: 'Died Jan. 27, 1825, age 62 years.'
Two of the stones were found lying against a tree and others under piles of debris.
The scouts did their best to uncover the stones and raked and cleaned the ground around them.
According to selected New York State Laws relating to cemeteries, it would appear that the town might be liable under certain conditions for restoring the burial grounds and for their upkeep. The matter is presently being researched by Mrs. Auser.
Other burial sites listed as missing by Mrs. Auser are in the vicinities of Illington Road and Hanover Street. One is believed to be in Mohansic State Park.
Brownies involved in the cemetery project of the troop headed by Mrs. Charles (Mary) Peterson as leader and Mrs. John (Bea) Chesseri as assistant leader, included Joni Carlucci, Vickie Chesseri, Cynthis DeFrancici, Joyce Hartnett, Donna Lent, Terry Ann Murphy, Kelly O'Donnel, Lisa Peterson, Debbie Silvestri, Phyllis Tormey, Sandy Uebbing, Christina Todd and Christina Ambrosini."
The Evening Star, March 16, 1976, "Yorktown Brownies find historic burial ground," by Rose Spadaro [Regarding Hyatt burying ground])
Return to Research Archives List