The mission of the Yorktown Historical Society is to foster public awareness and pride in preserving Yorktown’s historical heritage.
According to our Provisional Charter, granted by the Board of Regents of The University of the State of New York, for and on behalf of the State Education Department on September 25, 1980, the purpose of our organization is:
- To promote and encourage original historical research
- To disseminate and encourage a greater knowledge of the history of the State of New York and particularly the town of Yorktown and its environs
- To gather, preserve, display and make available for study artifacts, relics, books, manuscripts, papers, photographs, and other records and materials relating to the history of the State of New York and particularly of the town of Yorktown and the surrounding area
- To encourage the suitable marking of places of historic interest, and
- To acquire by purchase, gift, device, or otherwise the title to or the custody and control of historic sites and structures, and preserve and maintain such sites and structures.